Pages

11.1.15

F.E.M.I.N.I.S.T




Feminist: “A person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes”. Spoken so eloquently by “Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie”. People like her make me feel so proud to be a women and not just a women but a feminist that has the right to take a stand for the things that I believe in. I know we all remember her famous words playing over Beyonce’s song #Flawless…I mean who can forget?. I play that song over and over just to hear Chimamanda’s part. So inspiring ! 

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was born on 15 September 1977 in Enugu, Nigeria, she is the fifth of six children to Igbo parents named; Grace Ifeoma and James Nwoye Adichie. Chimamanda completed her secondary education then she went on to study medicine and pharmacy at the University of Nigeria for a year and a half (receiving several academic prizes/awards throughout). 



Chimamanda left for the United States at the age of 19. She received a scholarship to study communication at Drexel University in Philadelphia for two years, and went on to pursue a degree in communication and political science at Eastern Connecticut State University. Chimamanda graduated summa cum laude from Eastern in 2001, and then completed a master's degree in creative writing at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD). My goodness !! I am honestly just lifting my hands to her right now. 

 But wait; there is more to her un-ending list of accomplishments. Chimamanda’s work has been translated into thirty different languages and has appeared in various publications such as the New Yorker, Granta, The O. Henry Prize Stories, and many more. She also is the author of several novels; one of them being “Purple Hibiscus”” (which won the “Commonwealth Writer’s Prize” and the Hurston/Wright Legacy award). Her latest novel "Americanah", was published around the world in 2013, and has received numerous awards; including winning the “National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction” and “The Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize for Fiction”.


Chimamanda is a recipient of the “MacArthur Foundation Fellowship” and was also awarded a  fellowship by the “Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University”. 

Chimamanda is a married woman and divides her time between Nigeria (where she teaches writing workshops) and the United States.

She is such an inspiration to women all over the world and especially to young girls. I am very proud of Chimamanda and all of her accomplishments thus far. She makes me think once again? What can I do to have such an impact on the lives of many as a feminist?? I know that I must start small and work my way up; which is what I am doing at the moment. In due time..xx

To learn more about Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment